Inland Fishes of Mississippi
The deluxe, comprehensive guide to the native species of Mississippi
Download Plain Text version
Where was the largest bass caught in Mississippi? What streams are sometimes home to the gulf sturgeon? How can an angler tell a grass pickerel from a walleye?
In Inland Fishes of Mississippi, Stephen T. Ross answers these questions and many more.
Mississippi waters are some of the richest inland fish habitats in the United States. In fact, only four states have more native fish than Mississippi’s 204. Inland Fishes of Mississippi is for anglers and nature lovers who want to learn more about this thriving diversity.
Introductory chapters present the history of the study of fish in Mississippi, the distribution patterns of species, important conservation issues, and valuable information on identifying fish by examining body shape and structure.
Following these are illustrated keys to all the families of fish known to inhabit inland waters. Each key is a detailed guide to identifying the specific species within a family of fish. Keys include: color photographs of freshly collected examples meanings of scientific names for fish descriptions of color and physical changes maximum sizes of fish, including records for game fish precise maps of distribution vital information on habitat requirements, feeding, and behavior tips on where to catch a species status of conservation efforts
For both the casual angler and the ichthyologist, Inland Fishes of Mississippi will prove a constant resource and an irreplaceable asset for identifying, observing, and catching the state’s various species.
Stephen T. Ross is professor of biological sciences and Curator of Fishes at the University of Southern Mississippi. The editor for ecology and ethology of Copeia, he has also published articles in numerous journals such as American Naturalist, Environmental Biology of Fishes, and Transactions of the American Fisheries Society.
Download Suggested Free eBooks
- Related free ebooks indexed by openisbn project(pdf, epub, online or others):
- [Online] Report Of The Symposium On Water For Sustainable Inland Fisheries And Aquaculture Held In Connection With The European Inland Fisheries Advisory Commission Twentieth Session, Praia Do Carvoeiro, Portugal, 23 June-1 July 1998
- [Online] Report Of The Fourth Session Of The Indo-pacific Fishery Commission, Working Party Of Experts On Inland Fisheries, Kathmandu, Nepal, 8-14 September 1988, And Report Of The Workshop On The Use Of Cyprinids In The Fisheries Management Of Larger Inland Water
- [Online] Report Of The Symposium On Fisheries And Society : Social, Economic And Cultural Perspectives Of Inland Fisheries Held In Connection With The European Inland Fisheries Advisory Commission, Twenty-first Session, Budapest, Hungary, 1-7 June 2000
- [Online] Report Of The Sixth Session Of The Indo-pacific Fishery Commission, Working Party Of Experts On Inland Fisheries : Bangkok, Thailand, 17-21 October 1994 ; And Report Of The Regional Symposium On Sustainable Development Of Inland Fisheries Under Environmen
- [Online] Regional Symposium On Sustainable Development Of Inland Fisheries Under Environmental Constraints : Bangkok, Thailand, 19-21 October 1994, And Country Reports Presented At The Ipfc Working Party Of Experts On Inland Fisheries : Bangkok, Thailand, 17-21 Oc
- Fishes of the Gulf of Mexico: Texas, Louisiana, and Adjacent Waters, Second Edition (W. L. Moody Jr. Natural History Series)
- Fishes: An Introduction to Ichthyology (5th Edition)
- Sharks, Skates, and Rays of the Gulf of Mexico: A Field Guide
- FISHES ALABAMA
- A Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes : North America North of Mexico (Peterson Field Guides)