The Way of a Pilgrim: and The Pilgrim Continues His Way
The 19th century Russian spiritual classic on prayer, "The Way of a Pilgrim," and its sequel, "The Pilgrim Continues His Way," have long fascinated those who have stumbled on this winsome tale. First published in Russian in 1884 under the title, "Candid Narratives of a Pilgrim to His Spiritual Father," this religious masterpiece recounts the adventures of an anonymous Russian pilgrim who roams the vast Siberian steppes reciting the Jesus Prayer in order to obey Christ’s injunction to "pray without ceasing."
Apparently a wise old monk collected for posterity the captivating accounts of the pilgrim’s exploits and his increasing understanding of God’s providence as he commits himself to a life of prayer. The manuscript, which began to circulate privately after the pilgrim disappeared headed for Jerusalem, is reissued here in an updated translation adapted for American readers.
The pilgrim’s charming tales and dedicated life-style are an inspirational challenge for all who would discover their own spiritual roots, pursue the contemplative life or assimilate their piety to our modern society. Many keep this unique devotional book close at hand for they have found it a comforting source of hope when they encounter trials along life’s way.
- The Philokalia: The Complete Text (Vol. 1); Compiled by St. Nikodimos of the Holy Mountain and St. Markarios of Corinth
- The Art of Prayer: An Orthodox Anthology
- The Philokalia: The Eastern Christian Spiritual Texts--selections Annotated & Explained (SkyLight Illuminations)
- The Orthodox Church: New Edition
- The Way of a Pilgrim and The Pilgrim Continues His Way