From Earth to Herbalist: An Earth-Conscious Guide to Medicinal Plants
As people search for alternative forms of health care, interest in--and exploitation of--medicinal plants is exploding. This new guide, by the author of the popular Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West, teaches readers how to cut through the marketing hype to find the real healing properties of plants in their own backyards. From Earth to Herbalist begins with an overview of the herbalist’s connection with the earth and the principles of ethical wildcrafting, recognizing that the health of plant communities is part of our own well-being. Special sections explain how to keep a field journal, guidelines for harvesting and handling herbs in the field, and the basics of making herbal preparations. In the pages that follow, crisp color photographs accompany 52 profiles of medicinal herbs and common uses for more than 125 species of useful plants growing throughout North America. Each plant’s write-up includes its common and scientific names, identifying features, habitat and range, medicinal actions and practical applications, proper harvest and medicine-making techniques, its interdependency with its environment, and human impact related to its harvest and use. A bibliography and resource list direct aspiring herbalists to related sources.
- Planting the Future: Saving Our Medicinal Herbs
- Growing & Using Herbs Successfully (Garden Way Book)
- Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
- Rosemary Gladstar’s Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family
- The Herbalist’s Way: The Art and Practice of Healing with Plant Medicines (Chelsea Green)