Alcohol Fuel: A Guide to Making and Using Ethanol as a Renewable Fuel (Books for Wiser Living from Mother Earth News)
Dwindling petroleum supplies and growing environmental concerns are significantly impacting the cost of petro-fuel and its infrastructure. The search for alternative fuel sources has led to ethanol, a gasoline substitute that is already in the marketplace as Gasohol and E-85. But large-scale production of corn-based ethanol is controversial as it threatens the world’s food supply. There are alternatives, however: Brazil uses sugar cane, which is up to six times more productive in energy conversion.
After the energy crisis of the 1970s, there was a lot of misinformation about the cost of individual ethanol production. In order to achieve energy independence from gasoline, ethanol lends itself to small-scale production, and especially to cooperative ventures in rural communities, often using “waste” feedstock.
Alcohol Fuel is a practical, grassroots book that will give readers all the information they need, covering every aspect of making and using ethanol for fuel, including:Permitting and planningBudgeting and setupSourcing feedstocksFinding and building distillation equipmentStorage and safetyPractical applications for converting motor vehicles, farm equipment, and space-heating systems
The practical, user-friendly information on basic equipment needs, fermentation recipes, and distillation designs will be of interest to readers looking for information, as well as to those ready to make the switch.
Richard Freudenberger was research director of Mother Earth News, where he managed the Alcohol Fuel Program and developed solar and renewable solar and energy projects. He is publisher and technical editor of BackHome magazine and lives in Hendersonville, North Carolina.
Download Suggested Free eBooks
- Related free ebooks indexed by openisbn project(pdf, epub, online or others):
- [Online] Gender Dimensions Of Alcohol Consumption And Alcohol-related Problems In Latin America And The Caribbean
- [pdf] Alcohol And Public Policy:beyond The Shadow Of Prohibition
- [pdf] Fetal Alcohol Syndrome:diagnosis, Epidemiology, Prevention, And Treatment
- [pdf] Broadening The Base Of Treatment For Alcohol Problems
- [pdf] Prevention And Treatment Of Alcohol Problems:research Opportunities
- The Secrets of Building an Alcohol Producing Still.
- Alcohol Can Be a Gas!: Fueling an Ethanol Revolution for the 21st Century
- Convert Your Car to Alcohol
- Biodiesel Basics and Beyond: A Comprehensive Guide to Production and Use for the Home and Farm
- Sustainable Ethanol: Biofuels, Biorefineries, Cellulosic Biomass, Flex-fuel Vehicles, and Sustainable Farming for Energy Independence