Responding to Crisis: A Rhetorical Approach to Crisis Communication (Routledge Communication Series)
In recent years, researchers and practitioners have explored the nature, theory, and best practices that are required for effective and ethical crisis preparation and response. The consequences of being unprepared to respond quickly, appropriately, and ethically to a crisis are dramatic and well documented. For this reason, crisis consulting and the development of crisis response plans and protocols have become more than a cottage industry.
Taking a rhetorical view of crisis events and utterances, this book is devoted to adding new insights to the discussion, and to describing a rhetorical approach to crisis communication. To help set the tone for that description, the opening chapter reviews a rhetorical perspective on organizational crisis. As such it raises questions and provokes issues more than it addresses and answers them definitively. The other chapters can be viewed as a series of experts participating in a panel discussion. The challenge to each of the authors is to add depth and breadth of understanding to the analysis of the rhetorical implications of a crisis, as well as to the strategies that can be used ethically and responsibly. Central to this analysis is the theoretic perspective that crisis response requires rhetorically tailored statements that satisfactorily address the narratives surrounding the crisis which are used by interested parties to define and judge it.
This volume will be of value to scholars and students interested in crisis communication, and is certain to influence future work and research on responding to crises.
Download Suggested Free eBooks
- Related free ebooks indexed by openisbn project(pdf, epub, online or others):
- [Online] Educating For Democracy : Reading & Responding
- [Online] Responding To Low-intensity Conflict Challenges
- [Online] Responding To Probation And Parole Violations
- [Online] The Changing Shape Of Retail Banking : Responding To Customer Needs
- [Online] Responding To The Educational Needs Of Post-school Youth
- Ongoing Crisis Communication: Planning, Managing, and Responding
- Crisis Communications: A Casebook Approach (Routledge Communication Series)
- Effective Crisis Communication: Moving From Crisis to Opportunity
- Biz-War and the Out-of-Power Elite: The Progressive-Left Attack on the Corporation
- Crisis Management by Apology: Corporate Responses to Allegations of Wrongdoing (Lea’s Communication Series) (Routledge Communication Series)