Black Americans in the Revolutionary Era: A Brief History with Documents (The Bedford Series in History and Culture)
In this fresh look at liberty and freedom in the Revolutionary era from the perspective of black Americans, Woody Holton recounts the experiences of slaves who seized freedom by joining the British as well as those — slave and free — who served in Patriot military forces. Holton’s introduction examines the conditions of black American life on the eve of colonial independence and the ways in which Revolutionary rhetoric about liberty provided African Americans with the language and inspiration for advancing their cause. Despite the rhetoric, however, most black Americans remained enslaved after the Revolution. The introduction outlines ways African Americans influenced the course of the Revolution and continued to be affected by its aftermath. Amplifying these themes are nearly forty documents — including personal narratives, petitions, letters, poems, advertisements, pension applications, and images — that testify to the diverse goals and actions of African Americans during the Revolutionary era. Document headnotes and annotations, a chronology, questions for consideration, a selected bibliography, and index offer additional pedagogical support.
Download Suggested Free eBooks
- Related free ebooks indexed by openisbn project(pdf, epub, online or others):
- [Online] Do Black Women Hate Black Men?
- [Online] Pharo By Example By Andrew P. Black, At Al.
- [Online] Black Americans In Defense Of Our Nation : A Pictorial Documentary Of The Black American Male And Female Participation And Involvement In The Military Affairs Of The U. S. A.
- [pdf] Black And Smokeless Powders:technologies For Finding Bombs And The Bomb Makers
- [pdf] Scotch Loch Fishing (dodo Press) By Black Palmer
- The Shoemaker and the Tea Party: Memory and the American Revolution
- Creating an American Culture, 1775-1800: A Brief History with Documents (The Bedford Series in History and Culture)
- Notes on the state of Virginia
- The American Revolution: A History (Modern Library Chronicles)
- The Origins of the American Constitution: A Documentary History