The Venture of Islam, Volume 2: The Expansion of Islam in the Middle Periods
The Venture of Islam has been honored as a magisterial work of the mind since its publication in early 1975. In this three-volume study, illustrated with charts and maps, Hodgson traces and interprets the historical development of Islamic civilization from before the birth of Muhammad to the middle of the twentieth century. This work grew out of the famous course on Islamic civilization that Hodgson created and taught for many years at the University of Chicago.
In the second work of this three-volume set, Hodgson investigates the establishment of an international Islamic civilization through about 1500. This includes a theoretical discussion of cultural patterning in the Islamic world and the Occident.
"This is a nonpareil work, not only because of its command of its subject but also because it demonstrates how, ideally, history should be written."—The New Yorker
- The Venture of Islam, Volume 1: The Classical Age of Islam
- The Venture of Islam, Volume 3: The Gunpowder Empires and Modern Times (Venture of Islam Vol. 3)
- The Muqaddimah: An Introduction to History (Bollingen Series (General))
- Islam Observed: Religious Development in Morocco and Indonesia (Phoenix Books)
- The Turks in World History